Sulfa sulfite sulphate it’s all itchy to me!
Sulfa allergy is a term used to describe adverse drug reactions to sulfonamides, this is the name of a group of drugs that includes those with and without antibiotic characteristics. Antibiotic sulfonamides were the first antibiotics used to treat infections, today they are used much less frequently.
Symptoms may include: Skin reactions(such as hives and photo sensitivity), liver and kidney injury,
Lung reactions(asthma like), and blood reactions.
This is an easy correlation to make as you will most likely react while taking the drug if you are allergic or sensitive to Sulfas.
A Sulfite Sensitivity is what a doctor will likely tell you, is your problem. Sulfites or sulfate agents commonly know as sodium sulfite, sodium bisulfite, sodium metabisulfite, potassium bisulfite and potassium metabisulfite are preservatives used in many foods, drinks, and medications. All of these beauties could possibly cause a reaction for you…
Symptoms may include: an increase in asthmatic symptoms while eating sulfite-containing foods/beverages or inhaling sulfite fumes or vapors. Less is known about hives/swelling and anaphylaxis as a result of sulfites… as far as the medical profession is concerned. I have had more than one doctor inform me that people are not ‘allergic’ to Sulphas or Sulfites, these same doctors told me that they had no idea why I would have blacked out. I can tell you from my first hand experience that the consumption of sulfite-containing foods or beverages leads to severe allergic reactions in some. I am certain that if my thin skin would allow for an allergy test, my blood would show the presence of allergic antibodies to the preservative.
I have had numerous bouts of hives, flushing, vomiting, and straight up blacking out due to the consumption of or even use on my person of the preservative Sulfite.
This is not limited to foods; personal care products and manufactured drugs also often contain this agent.
In short there is none. If you have a mild reaction, drink lots of water to help your body do what it wants to and flush the Sulfites from your system. You can try an allergy pill
if your having a skin reaction, there are many kinda of allergy pill so pick the right one for you.
DO NOT USE AN EPI PEN! This may seem helpful at first but an EPI Pen has the same preservatives that very well may be responsible for the allergic reaction in the first place.
If you think you have severe allergic reaction to Sulfites inform your friends and family about Sulfites their uses and your sensitivity, the people around you are your only allies in a situation where your body is shutting down due to toxicity. If your friend or loved one has ingested Sulphites and ends up blacking out, please please put them in recovery position the closer to the toilet or some large container the better; because their body will try and void the cause of it’s reactions as soon as this person comes to.
Avoiding foods, personal care products, and medications containing sulfites is all you can really do to prevent reaction. The catch is almost every processed food, drink, soap, alcoholic bevy, and a wide range of medication is just chalk full of Sulfites.
The answer is then… Always read the label!
Manufactured drugs that contain Sulfites
Bronchodilator solutions for asthma
Adrenalin chloride 1:1000 concentration
Isuprel hydrochloride solution
Topical eye drops
Betamethasone phosphate (Celestone)
Dexamethasone phosphate (Decadron)
Epinephrine (Adrenaline, Ana-Kit, Epi-Pen)
Lidocaine with epinephrine (Xylocaine)
Solutions for total parenteral nutrition and dialysis
~Copyright 2014 Jamie Learning. All rights reserved. Content created by Jamie Learning for Fantastic Frugal.